Tuesday, September 14, 2010

And The Mother of the Year Award goes to...

Well I'm sure we've all done some stupid things, as parents, that either have embarrassed us or just made us feel like total idiots.  Like the time when Ethan was about a week old and while picking Mason up from a friend's house I completely forgot that I had my newborn in the back seat and just left him there while I went into his friend's house for a good 15 minutes!  I didn't even realize that I had forgot all about him until I walked back out to my van to leave.  I guess I just thought I was still pregnant or something.  Or the time when I took little Mason through a McDonald's drive thru and there was a rather large guy at the window and Mason screams out to him "Why are you so fat?!"  Um, yes, I felt like the worst mother in the world who has never taught my kids about being polite.  How embarrassing!  Well, yesterday I believe that I officially earned the "Mother of the Year" award.  I CANNOT believe this happened!

I had Bunco last night and because it was in my neighborhood this month I had decided to walk there.  Trent took the big kids out to the land so I was just going to take Bryson with me.  So I got ready, got Bryson ready and went down to the garage and loaded him up in his stroller.  As I was walking off I realized that I didn't have the garage door opener so I was going to have to run back in the garage, push the button, and strategically step over the sensor while running out.  I'm sure you know the drill.  So, I parked Bryson in his stroller just outside of the garage door, put the brake on, and walked in to shut the garage door.  After pushing the button I turn around to see my baby in his stroller rolling, no, FLYING, into the street!!  OMG!!  Of course at that point strategically stepping over the sensor was out of the question as I hauled it, in flip flops, after my baby!  I seriously saw both of our lives flash before my eyes!  When I got to him, that baby was cracking up!  He thought he had just been on the ride of his life!  Of course, I thanked God like 9 million times for there not being any cars coming down the street.  And, of course there were several neighbors outside who witnessed the incident.  (I'm sure they're all telling my story to others today!)  However, can we all say EMBARRASING???  and STUPID???  Not to mention, scary as hell!!! 

So, the next time you have one of those "Stupid Mom" moments, just think of me.  I have had several.  Some want to blame it on the blonde hair.  I, on the other hand, just contribute it to being a mom.  Also don't ever trust the brake on a stroller!!  Double check that it has actually LATCHED before leaving your baby on a downhill driveway.  Don't earn that "Mother of the Year" award on accident!!

1 comment:

  1. this was epic, when you told me this story i almost cried i was laughing so hard!

    ReplyDelete